Sunday, November 2, 2014

Our Shop Around the Corner

The Roman Mysteries Series by Caroline Lawrence
Dominic, Lillie, and Rose have all enjoyed this series of books. (Grades 5-8)

Book I:  The Thieves of Ostia
Book II:  The Secrets of Vesuvius
Book III:  The Pirates of Pompeii
Book IV:  The Assassins of Rome
Book V:  The Dolphins of Laurentum
Boook VI:  The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina
Book VII:  The Enemies of Jupiter
Book VIII:  The Gladiators from Capua
and many more

Mr. Ferris and His Wheel by Kathryn Gibbs Davis and Gilbert Ford
I just loved this story of American inventor George Washington Gale Ferris Jr. and his wonderful Ferris Wheel invention.  What was particularly interesting was the fact the Walt Disney's father worked at the Chicago World Fair where the first Ferris Wheel was unveiled.  Disney's father worked as a young man building sets at the fair.  He told his son about the illuminating lights and sounds he witnessed during his time there which sparked an interest in Walt Disney Jr. to build his now famous theme parks.

Mrs. McBloom, CLEAN UP your classroom by Kelly DiPucchio
We read this book several years ago and for sometime after could not remember the title of this book to check it out again.  I tried googling anything I could remember about the story, but nothing.  In particular, Dominic loved this story.  Finally, we remembered a key word in the title and were able to check it out again.

2 comments :

  1. I would love a list sometime of books you have enjoyed and/or are enjoying now! I read through all your archives when I first found your blog and pulled a couple wonderful recommendations from you (The Miracle of Father Kapaun, and I am expecting He Leadeth Me in the mail any day). I would to have a list of other books you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey,
      I sure hope you enjoy Fr. Kapaun as much as I do. I don't know why he makes me cry. You will feel the same inspiration from He Leadth Me. I will certainly put together a list of my favorites. So many good things to read. The lives of the saints are always at MY VERY VERY TOP. I would love to send you my favorite little book "Uniformity with God's Will." If you want, you can email me (lindsayboever@hotmail.com) your address and I will send you a copy. I hold it near to my heart. Thank you for writing and God Bless.

      Delete