Friday, September 28, 2012

Life Perspective

John's parents sent us this great article about Lou Holtz. I enjoyed the whole article, but his deathbed perspective gave me much food for thought today.
Reporter asking Lou the following, "You’ve stated that if something wouldn’t bother you on your deathbed, it shouldn’t bother you right now when it actually is happening. Has that belief brought more peace of mind to you?"
"That’s a great perspective to live life with, similar to the serenity prayer. It’s helpful for anyone, but maybe in a special way for coaches. Coaches can get too focused on results and winning, so it’s good to step back and let go of things a little bit. I just try to change the things I can, accept the things I can’t, and pray I have the wisdom to know the difference between the two."
"I follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best you can, and always show people you care. You’ve got to make a sincere attempt to have the right goals to begin with, then go after them with appropriate effort, and remember that you can’t really achieve anything great without the help of others." 

2 comments :

  1. I love Lou. So glad my time at ND overlapped his, however briefly, so I can claim the honor of having seen and heard him in person. I saw that article through a friend a few days ago and enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture of Clairvoux just made my day. How sweet are those girls?

    ReplyDelete