Sunday, May 20, 2012

Track Meet 2012

Once again, the kids participated in the homeschool track meet in Wahoo. This has become something they look forward to many months in advance. Dominic even created a pre-workout routine to prepare.  Oh, the excitement was intense at 6:30 in the morning.  
Dominic met another Dominic this year. What instant friends they were! They are two months apart exactly, have the same first and middle name, love Legos, Hardy Boys, and all other things that little boys love. The other Dominic has three brothers and a sister. I had a great time meeting their mother. We could have talked for hours. It is so enjoyable to see your kids make great friends and watch them talk with such interest about different topics with their friends.
Rose is a fierce competitor. She is our track athlete. She loves running and has loved it since she was little. We both enjoy watching her run. Beautiful and innocent. She won four ribbons this year.
Last year, Zellie struggled emotionally the whole track meet, BUT this year LOOK OUT...track star here we come.  She ran her little blue shoes as fast as they could go.  She loved it.
This was Vianney's first year. She was so excited until we got there and she shed a few tears about running. She claims she "didn't want to hurt her legths." ??? ANYWAY, she did participate in the field events. John and I laughed that she looked like a little boy with wild blond hair dressed in her black track outfit.
I wish I could say that I didn't scream like a crazy woman while they are running, but I can't. I yell them down the track with excitement...this year, a newborn in my arms. I bet it was awesome to see.

Lillie's best gift hands down is her ability to make people feel loved and welcome. She is a sweetheart and wants to make sure everyone is having a great time. I think she distributed half of our track food amongst her "new friends". Darling. She kept coming up to me asking if she could give so and so a granola bar, or a juice box, or a piece of gum. She is very thoughtful. She is ridiculously happy to just run. She never cares nor is aware of if she placed or not. She just runs and smiles. It is so funny how different kids respond to different settings. Dominic use to be unaware and always thought he won every race even if he came in close to last. One year, I remember him finishing fourth and came running up to me "MOM! I guess we bought the right shoes this year because I won my race."
These days are my favorite days to enjoy with them. They ran, they played, they ate, and got so dirty that it is delightful to let them go home and soak in the tub. I know when we put them to bed how content their little minds must have been.

2 comments :

  1. I will never tire of seeing Zellie's smile-so-big-it-squishes-her-eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you yell like a crazy woman. Crazy about your kids. I, too, am crazy. Yelling this year for my younger boys' first soccer season. Yelling intelligent things like "kick it!" "Stop him!" and "Go hard, go hard!" All while nursing the baby on the sidelines. Then I tell my littlest girl not to play with the baby's feet because I'm trying to put him to sleep. Yes, seriously. Crazy, indeed.

    ReplyDelete